You’re one of my favourite Peep-le, Valentine!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
One (of the many) unfortunate things about growing up is that you’ll never be quite as excited about a holiday as you were when you were 5. Remember how you wouldn’t be able to sleep on Christmas eve because all you could think about were the presents you’d get to open in the morning? (This actually never happened in my childhood. We didn’t celebrate Christmas) To overcome that feeling, I decided to send out Barbie Valentines to my dearest friends, the way I did in grade 3, except back then I had a paper bag stuck on the side of my desk with my name on it embellished with paper hearts and doilies, and also back then I had to give Valentines to EVERYONE in my class, even if they had the cooties.
Another one of my most cherished childhood memories was waking up after a sleepover at my cousin’s house and my aunt would make us Peeps Hot-Chocolate for breakfast. It wasn’t necessarily a Valentine’s Day Special but it sure was Special. What could be better than a mug of hot chocolate and marshmallows on a chilly winter morning? A mug of hot chocolate with a yellow-sugar-coated marshmallow shaped like a chick swimming around in a “pond” of hot-cocoa.
Now you too can live one of my favourite childhood memories with this ridiculously easy recipe below, courtesy of Aunt Cammy:)
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Large Mug
- 1 Envelope of Nestle’s Rich Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
- Marshmallow Peeps of your choice! (I got the pink bunnies from my roommate, Abbey, but you can get Valentine’s special ones that say I ❤ You)
- Boiling Water or Hot Milk (Always ask an adult for help!)
- Bring the water or milk to a boil in a kettle or over the stove (If you’re using milk, watch it carefully! As soon as it boils it will try to bubble over the pot!)
- Open your packet of Hot Cocoa Mix and pour it in the cup
- Pour the hot water or milk in to the cup
- Place one (or two if they’ll fit) Peep on top of your cup of hot cocoa and watch it swim!
- Experience the warm and fuzzy feelings of Peep hot chocolate from your childhood ❤
And here are some pics I googled of the many varieties of Peeps that are available!